Best Healing Power Is In Our Heads
Yes, it’s true that the best healing tool is inside our heads.
And it isn’t the mind contemplating the power of positive thought. Positive thoughts are useful. We all know it’s better to think positive thoughts than negative thoughts. So keep on thinking positively for a better day to day mood.
I am referring to the brain. That fatty organ that resides between our ears and consists of the Brain, Brain stem and the attached body. All of those together forms the Brain-Body System. In itself it is a connected system, not separate as: The Brain and The Body.
An Amazing Organ
The human brain is the most amazing organ not just to us humans, but within the world as we know it. Here are some amazing facts about the human brain.
- The human brain weighs 3 pounds – approximately 1.4kgs
- It comprises 60% of fat and is one of the fattest organs in the human body
- Of the total blood and oxygen that is produced in our body, the brain gets 20% of it.
- The human brain has the capacity to generate approximately 23 watts of power when awake.
- The brain has one quadrillion connections 1 billion x 1 million – almost infinite as far as we know.
- The reason the brain has this massive amount of connections is because it needs to scan the entire body and the brain itself down to a cellular and molecular level.
- 60% of the brain processing capacity is devoted to vision
- However possibly less than 20% of the brain is dedicated to “visual-only” functioning.
- The other 40% is doing vision+touch, vision+motor, vision+attention, vision+spatial navigation, or vision+meaning,
- The blood vessels that are present in the brain are almost 100,000 miles (161,000 kms) in length.
- There are 100 billion neurons present in the brain.
- In early pregnancy, the neurons develop at an alarming rate of 250,000 per minute.
Psychotherapy and The Brain
As a psychotherapist I have an unwavering respect for the power of my client’s brain and its capacity to heal itself.
I see my job as a facilitator to the clients own healing processes. We use talking therapies to understand the clients world, how their problems affect them, and to ascertain where in their bodies the client feels the emotional component of their presenting problem.
Body / Brain Connection
By accessing the somatic body experience we help the client indirectly identify the place in the brain that holds the problem. We help the client to refine the brain location through visual eye location. We can then coach the client to use focused mindfulness to once again indirectly direct the brain’s natural healing processes towards the resolution of the problem.
And yes, it actually works.